April 3, 2011

Crochet can be Sophisticately Stylish too

When you hear about someone having a love for crochet, what do you think of?  Over the years, I've had many people chuckle when I tell them that I enjoy sitting down in front of the TV with a crochet hook and yarn.  They picture a little old lady making doilies and top hats to cover your spare toilet paper roll.   Not that those items are'nt cute or important; I mean, I love my doiles, they protect my furniture, and well,  toilet paper, you gotta keep that clean , ya know.


When I "grow up", I'm sure my priorities and my focus will shift, but for now, this is where I'm at.  

Gotta just love my accessories; and yes, that means my hoop earrings too.

These are very simple to make. I used metal hoops to crochet around, but you can pretty much use just about anything circular.  These are a little small, maybe about 2 1/2" in diameter.   I used Omega No.2  Nylon crochet thread (color is grape) that I purchased online from Annies Attic and  a 1.65mm crochet hook.  I just did a single crochet all the way around the metal hoops until they were covered, I poked a small  jump ring through one of the single crochets and into an ear post that I got at my local Joannes Fabric Store,  and It was done. 

If you've never worked with nylon thread before, something that you might notice is that after fastening off with your finished project,  the thread is hard to keep in place and it unravels.  Nylon thread has a luxurious sheen and feel to it, and a knot is difficult to keep in place.   I've tried just about everything to keep my ends in place, including using beading cement/glue.  Take it from me... DO NOT use glue, it leaves an awful smell behind that is hard to get rid of.   What I have learned to do is very carefully clip the end of the yarn and use a lighter flame to melt the ends and hold them in place.  This seems to work well, but I am by no means an expert in this subject.  So if anyone out there can give any helpful suggestions, I'm welcoming you to PLEASE share.

No comments:

Post a Comment